Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April 5th


This morning the campus was eerily quiet. The grey sky and damp ground were like bookends to the oppressive silence hanging in the air. Last night, the campus celebrated the men's championship victory; today, silent streets and low attendance are the only remaining traces of the great revelry of the night before. The air is misty and cool, dripping with moisture, unnoticed until you go to pull a notebook from your damp backpack. Walking to class, the wind whipped through the trees and tugged at our jackets. The wailing cry of an ambulance punctuated the silence and brought the hard, ominous feel of the morning into stark focus. I laughed with fearful excitement, not even aware of my nervous joy until my friend inquired about my seemingly out-of-place reaction. My heart was reveling in the dark apprehension that hung like a sinister fog over the campus. There is breath-taking beauty in nature's gloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment